Breastfeeding Friendly Employer Certificate Program
The Pennsylvania Breastfeeding Coalition wants to recognize breastfeeding-friendly employers that support their employees by providing and maintaining high-quailty lactation support programs and appropriate onsite environments. Please complete the form below to nominate an organization.
For businesses serving patrons & customers:
- Welcoming Environment— A breastfeeding mother should be treated the same as any other patron by the staff and management.
- Trained Staff— The business trains staff to support breastfeeding customers and promotes an accepting environment among all patrons.
- Time— Breastfeeding mothers are given adequate time to express milk or nurse their babies. This may be in the form of breaks, flexible work hours, or part-time work.
- Space— The workplace provides an accessible, safe, clean, private space to express milk or nurse. This may range from a designated “mother’s lounge” to a privacy screen at a cubicle.
- Support—All employees are informed about the ways the business accommodates employees who are breastfeeding. The breastfeeding support program is described in writing; this may be in the new employee orientation, a benefits summary, guidelines to prevent discrimination and harassment, a company wellness program, or a separate breastfeeding support policy. Supervisors and co-workers are updated on breastfeeding support when an employee returns from maternity leave.
- Flexibility—The workplace is flexible in accommodating each breastfeeding mother’s unique situation.