This section is designed to provide resources for Providers needing to fulfill requirements for Keystone 10 and/or Baby Friendly USA. Requirements for individual hospitals may vary, always verify training suitability with your own institution.
Pennsylvania Department of Health
- PA Breastfeeding Awareness and Support Program
- Keystone 10 Initiative
- EPIC BEST see below for full descripton
PABC Recommended Breastfeeding Training Options
The EPIC (Educating Practices/Physicians in their Communities) – BEST program is a Pennsylvania statewide practice education program using office-based change as the key to promote initiation and increasing the duration of exclusive breastfeeding. This is a one hour online video. Access BEST online through UPMC’s Internet-based Studies in Education and Research (ISER) web portal. A free login will need to be set up.
This is a series of four videos, each about an hour long
This is a series of two tutorials… all reading, about three hours total. This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the Massachusetts Medical Society through the joint providership of Hallmark Health System and the Massachusetts Department of Public Health, Nutrition Division.
The Maryland Hospital Breastfeeding Policy Committee coordinated a six-lecture series of free webinars about breastfeeding-related topics that were broadcasted in September and October 2016. The webinars are available as recordings here. Each of these educational opportunities features a different topic and is provided by expert physicians in the field. Continuing medical education credit is available at no charge, and all medical practitioners are welcome.
Bella Breastfeeding: Provider Training is a peer-reviewed online course on OPENPediatrics, a free web-based digital learning platform designed for health care professionals around the world. The purpose of this course is to fulfill the requirement for provider education as outlined in the Baby-Friendly USA Guideline and Evaluation Criteria manual. Three hours of training are required for providers (Physicians, Midwives, Physician Assistants and Adv. Practice Registered Nurses.)
The course is comprised of 15 short learning modules, each with a several question pre-test and post-test. At the end of the course, and if a score of >80% on the test questions is achieved, the learner can print out a certificate of completion.
Learners will first need to register with OPENPediatrics and then can search “bella” or “breastfeeding” to find the course. CME approval is pending.
Thanks to our Medical Advisor, Dr. Jeanne Spencer, for
Breastfeeding Information and Education
- Breastfeeding Friendly Consortium
- AAP Breastfeeding Residency Curriculum
- Breastfeeding Outlook
- Lactation Education Consultants
- Lactation Educator Counselor
- Breastfeeding Counselor
- Lactation Educator
- Healthy Children Project
- Baby Friendly Curriculum
- WIC Peer Counselor
- CAPPA Certified Lactation Educator
- LLLI Peer Counselor
- IBCLC Courses Lactation Education Resources
- International Lactation Consultant Association (click on Learning tab)
- US Lactation Consultant Association
- Western Pennsylvania Lactation Consultant Association
- Pennsylvania Mid-State Lactation Coalition
- Pennsylvania Resource Organization for Lactation Consultants
- Academy of Breastfeeding Medicine
- Academy of Breastfeeding Medicine Clinical Protocols
Centers and Programs for Breastfeeding
- Bright Future Lactation Resource Center
- USAID Access Program
- World Health Organization
- Lactation Resource Library
- University of Albany- Women’s Health Grand Rounds
- Carolina Global Breastfeeding Institute