The mission of the Pennsylvania Breastfeeding Coalition (PABC) is to facilitate community and statewide efforts to protect, support and promote breastfeeding as the cultural norm across the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
PABC was formed in 1992 when Judith Gallagher, Director of the Bureau of MCH Preventive Health Programs at the PA Department of Health, convened a group of interested people in Harrisburg. We met for the first few years under their auspices. Now we are an independent 501(c)(3) non-profit. Our funding comes primarily from dues.
The SUPPORT PABC button helps us engage in activities such as:
- Developing model breastfeeding policies for hospitals
- Providing educational opportunities for health professionals
- Securing an annual proclamation in support of breastfeeding from the Governor
- Publicizing legislative activities that affect breastfeeding
- Reviewing hospital practices and procedures that impact breastfeeding
- Working collaboratively with the US Breastfeeding Committee
- Various grant funded projects which are conducive to forwarding our goals